Saturday, January 10, 2009

USS Lexington - CV16 Aircraft Carrier Museum


USS Lexington - CV16 Aircraft Carrier Museum
Corpus Christi
March 2009

This was an overnight stay on board the USS Lexington with Jake's Cub Scout troop. My dad went with us on this three day trip.

The Lexington is easy to locate. It's just past downtown Corpus right next to the aquarium. We went down to Corpus on a Friday
night and as be crossed the ship channel the "Lex" is an awesome site. At night it is bathed in a blue/purple light. It is huge!

We did all six of the self guided tours along with the IMAX theater and flight simulator. It took us all day long to complete the tours (10 hours). On the flight deck and in the elevator deck, there is a airplane/jet museum that has most of the aircraft that flew off of this vessel. It was super windy on the flight deck. We almost felt like we were going to be blown over board.

The meals were served Navy style in the galley and were decent. The bunks were tough......small mattress and bunk. At night the sleeping quarters are lit up with red lights and I had a top bunk located right under one of these red lights. First time I've ever slept with a hat over my face. The stairs and doorways are dangerous. I'm only six foot, but I bumped my head a couple of times.
We had a great time on this venture. I recommend both the day
visit and if you get the opportunity, the overnight stay.








No comments:

Post a Comment